What to do after an accident in WA

What to do if you have been in a transport accident in WA

Transport accidents often involve cars, motorcycles, bicycles, pedestrians or a combination of all. The number of motor vehicles on Perth and WA’s roads increasing year on year, in turn, so are the number of accidents that are happening.

Anyone who has already been involved in a car crash knows that it can be a very traumatic and costly experience.

In this article, we are going to cover:

1 Exchanging Details

2 Taking Photos

3 Health and safety

4 Your legal rights

5 Letting your insurance know

6 How to lodge a claim

Exchange Details

It’s important that you exchange details with any other parties involved because your insurance will need this information.

However, do not apologise for anything at the scene because this can be seen as admitting legal liability.

So what information should you collect:

  • Names
  • Address
  • Contact telephone number
  • Make and model of the vehicle/s
  • Licence plate number
  • Insurance details
  • This goes for everyone involved whether they are a driver, passenger or pedestrian. Even go as far as getting the contact details of anyone who may have witnessed the incident.

Take Photos

After an accident, it is important to take as many photographs at the scene as possible. Take pictures of the drivers, passengers, damage, property damage, tyre marks on the asphalt, injuries and your surroundings. If you can film it on a camera or camera phone, even better.

The reason why you should document the incident so extensively is that it can be used as evidence later on if somebody tries to pass the blame. In many instances at fault, drivers have denied causing damage to innocent peoples cars or swear that the accident happened through no fault of their own.

Seek Medical Attention

After an accident, your health and wellbeing are paramount.

Even if you think that you haven’t suffered any injuries, it’s important to get checked out by a medical professional.
The reason being is that some injuries may be internal and not present themselves externally.

Here you can find a list of Gp’s and medical centres located throughout Melbourne that can rule out any injuries for you.

Another reason for going is that some injuries such as whiplash can have prolonged symptoms so what may seem like a pointless visit will ensure there are medical records if you need them later down the line.

Speak to A Lawyer

Most injury lawyers in WA offer free initial advice. They can make you aware of your rights and also let you know if you’re entitled to compensation.

You may also feel like the accident was your fault when in reality it’s not.

Because MVA’s happen so fast, it can be really difficult to determine liability, especially if you’re being pressured by another party or their insurance company.

Let Your Insurance Know

If you have been involved in a road traffic accident it is important that you let your insurance company know.

The insurance commission of WA who is the major CTP insurance provider in Western Australia can offer you help and support after your transport accident. They can also pay for any treatment and services you may need to help you get back on track.

How to lodge a Claim

You can lodge your claim directly with the commission, or you can get a lawyer to launch it for you. Most law firms in Perth and WA offer their services on a no win no costs basis, so if your claim is unsuccessful, you won’t need to pay towards any of the legal costs.

Also, the Commission is known for making lousy offers so having a lawyer in your corner will ensure that you are not pushed about. Would you like to calculate your claim?

However, before choosing a lawyer make sure you research their firm to make sure they specialise in transport accident claims, and they are based in Perth.

In Conclusion

Being involved in an accident can leave you shook up, injured and out of pocket. Knowing what to do if the unsuspected happens will ensure that you don’t admit to something that wasn’t your fault.